Monday, December 22, 2008

Christs - Mass

Now the moment I have been looking forward to, ripping what we call "a happy holiday" to shreds (well for the Christians reading it will be)

So Christmas which we recognise as a Christian holiday is still the one day that stops the earth still, as far as I'm aware the only people still on the job will be the cops, ambulances and fire fighters. which may as well be my first point, isn't it funny that even though the remembrance of Jesus can still stop the world that we still need humans to control our society, on the one day when its actually suppose to be about family and Jesus we still fail to 'be good'

Now as for Christ being the 'reason for the season', The origins of Christmas are described as follows on Wikipedia

"Christmas Day or Christmastide, is an annual holiday celebrated on December 25 that marks and honours the birth of Jesus of Nazareth. The birth of Jesus, which is the basis for the anno Domini system of dating, is thought to have occurred between 7 and 2 BC. December 25 is not thought to be Jesus' actual date of birth, and the date may have been chosen to correspond with the Roman Festival."

I'm sure the majority of us are aware of the falsehood of the 25th being Jesus actual date, I personally have found two dates given by leading scholars is August 14th and July 17th. Now the simple fact is that we will never TRULY know the date of his birth but I'm also sure very few of us knew that our Christ mass was ripped off from a pagan celebration. This Roman festival in December was called Saturnalia, this was the feast that celebrated the mythological God "Saturn" this was originally on the 17th and eventually expanded to a whole week lasting until the 23rd. One form of celebration was a school holiday and the making and giving of small presents. This resembles closely the sole focus of our Christmas celebration today. For Saturnalia The customary greeting for the occasion is a "Io, Saturnalia!" — Io (pronounced "yo") being a Latin interjection related to "ho" (as in "Ho, praise to Saturn"). now I'm sure you are all thinking of the correlation between Santa and his jolly "ho ho ho" being a direct symbol of the pagan worship and celebration that still exists today.

Now for this next paragraph I will probably recieve a bit of "you're such a conspiricist" because it does sound crazy and in all reality when I first had this revelation I was taken aback. But here goes, Santa is a direct anagram for someone that is commonly known in Christianity and in the Bible. If you didn't catch that its Satan. feel free to call me crazy, I simply couldn't care but let me give a reasonable explanation to this. Christmas has indeed become materialised, I see too many Christians get lost in this materialism and I can't help but shake my head in disgrace. People sometimes even expect gifts and if they are not given to them they feel disappointed and even disrespected. Today its all about what we can get. Its all purely Greed. in 2006 I went all out for Christmas and I did it not in hope of what I got in return but in the pure joy that I receive when I give without strings attached.
this year I have done cards and a small knick nack from Trade aid. which leads me to another small yet significant thing, think for a moment where you bought most of your presents this year, and then ask yourself this "what chance is there that that shop bought from china or India?" why would you ask that? because a significant number of Chinese manufacturers are in the business of slave labour. I'm sure I need not elaborate on that idea but my point is this, whilst you buy your gifts and give them and recieve them at the same time kids in slave labour are getting paid less that 1US dollar a day and usually and extra 20 cents if they sleep over night at the factory.

now I must move on to the point of Christmas trees, don't get me wrong I love pine trees and some of my fond memories are of the smell of pine on Christmas morning in the living room. However n ancient times the winter solstice was celebrated in Babylon as the birth day of Tammuz, the god of vegetation. According to the pagans, the god Nimrod would visit the evergreen tree and leave gifts upon it. This festival became known as the Saturnalia, and friends and family would exchange gifts. Jeremiah 10 verses 2-4 states

2 This is what the LORD says:
"Do not learn the ways of the nations
or be terrified by signs in the sky,
though the nations are terrified by them.

3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless;
they cut a tree out of the forest,
and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.

4 They adorn it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so it will not totter.

so what can we take from this? the decoration of trees is tradition of Saturnalia which is a pagan festival and is detestable by God. ok so can we have Christmas without trees? of course you can, but what of the exchanging of gifts that is also part of that pagan celebration. Ok so no gifts either. so what's left? well a day off work and the word Christmas. so my simple obligation is this, why do we not celebrate it in this way? a day off and the focus on Christ mass. despite the rip off of Saturnalia's dates we SHOULD be able to focus on Christ. Another question I would have to pose is why oh why do we need a specified date to remember Jesus? the ideal would be for us to remember him everyday and I do pray that for us all. But I simply ask this of you this Christmas. Who are you doing it for? for yourself to get gifts? for others to serve and show them you care? or for Jesus?

so Who are you buying the gifts for? who are you decorating that tree for? who are you singing the carols to? what are you thinking when you recieve your gifts? think about it.

Seriously.

2 comments:

alexia anne said...

YAY!
I love talking about how much I resent what Christmas has become, and what better way than this?

Firstly, I know you probably know this, but Wikipedia is a fairly unreliable source to quote ANYTHING from... The fact that it's accessible to everyone makes it... Tarnished, I guess. But you know that. I just felt like saying it lol.

I've known that the chosen day for Christ's birth was based on a pagan celebration for a while now, and I don't think it was a bad idea... It allowed the transition from a religion that had been practised for close to two thousand years (maybe more) to be a lot easier to bear than what it would have been if everything suddenly became redundant in 'the old way'. A fair few of the important dates and aspects in Christianity were decided upon by a Council in any rate... Perhaps Ancient Rome's greatest decision (that unfortunately probably led to their ultimate downfall) was to allow those peoples She had taken dominion over to keep practising their own religions, to a degree. How much easier must it have been for them to take what was essentially a very radical idea and base some of it on what had been around for centuries? It makes sense to me, and although Puritans all over the place will probably throw the Book at me for saying so, I think it was very clever. But then, the Romans were always known as smart.

I detest Santa. I absolutely despise the very idea of him. The image we know today of him is just a corporate manifestation, and I hate it. WHY do we need some obese old white guy in a red pyjama suit to get us excited about something? It's so ridiculous.

As for the putting up of 'christmas' trees... Well, my family does it because it's one of the few times we're not clawing at each others' throats lol. Family tradition dies hard I guess, and when the lights come on it's one of the few times I feel genuinely happy. As for present-giving, I'm usually too broke to give much at all =P.

Christmas has always been about family for me... Being able to spend a few days without worrying about my Dad, or arguing about anything other than who has to wash the dishes. I love being able to wake up and not have to dread breakfast.

Admittedly, it has been years since we actually went to Church on Christmas Eve.

And I feel bad about it.

I actually really need to tell you something. Soon I hope. Something happened while I was in England last week...

Anyway, I just wanted to rant.
It's a favourite pasttime lol

I miss you

Sam said...

I think there's two things: (1) the question of Christmas as a Christian celebration, and (2) the farcical event it has become in wider society, with Santa tacked on.

In regard to the latter: I think the idea of Santa is clearly evil when we look at what's actually taught.

- Be good and don't be bad! (moralism)
- Do it so you can get more presents! (selfish motivation)
- And don't worry, no matter what, you're still gonna get presents! (the idea that disobedience doesn't matter)

It's the worldview of the masses today, idolising materialism as you say, and it's absolutely opposed to God and Christ.

So I refused to join in with "jingle bells" when it was sung on Christmas day. Not because I was being a 'scrooge', but because I love Jesus and I'm grieved when when He is so blatantly spurned.

In regard to the former, Christians celebrating Christmas and rejoicing in the remembrance of our Saviour's birth, I'm not entirely decided. Clearly it's not mandatory, and equally clearly the origins of it are not biblical.

Here's part of what the great Spurgeon had to say about Christmas:

THIS is the season of the year when, whether we wish it or not, we are compelled to think of the birth of Christ. I hold it to be one of the greatest absurdities under heaven to think that there is any religion [benefit] in keeping Christmas-day. There are no probabilities whatever that our Savior Jesus Christ was born on that day and the observance of it is purely of Popish origin; doubtless those who are Catholics have a right to hallow it, but I do not see how consistent Protestants can account it in the least sacred. However, I wish there were ten or a dozen Christmas-days in the year; for there is work enough in the world, and a little more rest would not hurt laboring people. Christmas-day is really a boon to us, particularly as it enables us to assemble round the family hearth and meet our friends once more. Still, although we do not fall exactly in the track of other people, I see no harm in thinking of the incarnation and birth of the Lord Jesus.

More here: http://www.founders.org/blog/2005/12/spurgeon-on-christmas.html