Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thoughts

Hmm I must get out of the mindset of setting high standards for what I post up here.
I seem to lose way too many (precious) thoughts from those high standards, so here is one of those 'thoughts' I have had today.

Romans 8:28 says
'And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God,
to them that are called according to his purpose' (KJV)

As I was upset this morning I went to have a bath as very often it is very good thinking space for me. This scripture popped into my head as I struggled with one small issue of life.

My thought's on this scripture is as follows; the first dilemma we face is once again our limited human understanding, it's extremely hard for me to fathom that ALL things work TOGETHER for good, if I love God and my friend commits suicide what do I gain from that? that’s a more easily answered one but what about the family who lost a husband in the 9/11 attacks, if they genuinely love God how what do they gain from that? Not only that but this scripture states that they work TOGETHER for good, the implication I get from this is that my misfortune and the misfortune of another individual that loves God both work together for both our benefit. Moreover we must consider the extremity of the word 'all' this means that EVERYTHING I do works for the good of God, whether it be feeding the dog or sharing a friends burden, they both work equally for the good of God. in fact looking at the verse again, I see that it says 'things' now what on earth does it means by things? as in the clothes on my body, or the works of my hand? or the thoughts of my mind? or the direction of my heart? or what? that just an added factor to looking at this verse.

I must stop to acknowledge that I’m not exactly doing an accurate exegesis here, but in all honesty verses 27-29 I could probably write an essay on and still not get the right view of it however if you want to look at it in context feel free to read those three verses.

now as for the latter part of the verse 'to them that are called according to God's purpose' now I think for me the major standing issue of this is do we actually know God's purpose? we get glimpse of his purpose in his word but that is only his purpose for me, you, for planet earth. our finitely small understanding of our God and of our universe leaves me aghas every time and I must take into factor about what will be gods purpose after the second coming? was his purpose the same before creation? was it the same during king David? king Solomon? Jesus' death and resurrection?

I was recently listening to a sermon by Brian Houston who noted that we are given so many talents and abilities from God but it is only when we focus in on one that we do it well, and that what is in your hand (eg your passions and talents) will be your callings from God. so my simple question is how do we discern what gift is right for a certain time? prayer is one answer but I do not think God ever wanted us to be puppets who call on their master for everything, there is to a certain extent our own decision our own free will that we must deal with and carefully go about.

so in a quick sum up

Romans 8:28 says
'And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God,
to them that are called according to his purpose'

I think the first question we need to ask ourselves is do we love God?
then we can go on to ask, what are the things in your life that will work for the good of God? What are your callings? and what is God's purpose?

for me the answers are as follows.

Yes, all things, poverty, youth, discipling and I can only guess that Gods purpose is to love the ones I will reach and conform myself and others to Christ.

No comments: